For some odd reason, my pictures do not seem to want to load. It is weird. And I’m too tired to investigate. It could be my phone since I’m posting from my cell. Which by the way is super painful since I have pre developed blisters on my thumbs from just a few hours of sanding. Yes, it is sad.
The bread though is good – even though I kept it in the oven a little longer than needed. But the husband liked it and didn’t even mentioned its way past golden colour. So please, when baking this bread, set your timer and don’t forget about it like I did. On my defense though, I was baking and trying to get ready to go into the city all at once. It is hard to do.
- 2-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup corn flour (not cornstarch, it is more like super extra fine cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup evoo
- Scant 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2/3 cups almond milk
- 3 tbsp flax dissolved in 9 tbsp water
- 2 small apples – peeled and cut into small chunks. + 1 tbsp maple syrup drizzled on top (maple syrup is optional)
1. Dissolve flax in water. In a small container (I used a 2-cup glass measuring cup) add 3 tbsp flax and 9 tbsp water. Whisk as you add the water. Let it rest in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
*wait 15 minutes to continue*
2. Preheat oven to 350F and grease 2 small bread pans.
3. In a large bowl mix in evoo and sugar.
4. In a medium bowl combine the flours, salt and baking powder.
5. Take out flax mixture – it should be thicker – and whisk in milk and vanilla.
6. Alternating, add milk mixture and flour mixture to large bowl (evoo & sugar). Combine well.
7. Add in apples and stir.
8. Pour batter in prepared pans and bake at 350F for 10 minutes, decrease temp to 335 and continue baking for an additional 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of bread comes out clean.
This is not your typical cornbread. The taste is nuttier because of the flax. The corn flour gives it a very mild corn flavour. The apples are just an awesome added bonus.
Please let me know if you try this recipe out. Hope you enjoy it!
Thanks for stopping by 🙂
PS. Will get some pics up soon!