This is a super easy, super quick, and super delicious recipe! Since its been super hot (can you guess what my word of the week is?) these past few days, I have been dreading turning on the stove or the oven. In comes quinoa and a yummy recipe on the back of the truRoots Organic Quinoa package!
The recipe is for a quinoa salad with cranberries and pecans which sounds delicious…but I did not have cranberries nor pecans…so my salad consists of:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (which comes out to about 2 cups of cooked quinoa)
- 1 red onion – finely chopped
- 3 mini cucumbers or 1 large cucumber – finely chopped
- 1 red pepper – finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers – yes, finely chopped
The dressing though is THE BEST PART!!! And I think it went great with my salad but I so want to try it with cranberries and pecans. So remember, this dressing recipe comes from the back of the truRoots packaging.
- 6 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
Whisk together the orange juice, olive oil, orange zest, thyme and salt. Pour dressing over the quinoa. Toss and fluff with a fork.
My family loved the quinoa salad…even my brother who is not a fan of quinoa or my cooking. He had his as a side dish; I made him my own version of fish & chips (minus the chips a la Johanna style).
I seriously think everyone should try this dressing. It is just yummy!!
Thanks for stopping by!
It’s quite late and I have a presentation in class tomorrow…I needed something to take my mind off president Bush (part of presentation) so I took some time to bake.
This bread is good! A little on the sweet side but not too overwhelming, which is good!! I found a recipe online but changed it up a bit…here’s what I did 🙂
- 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup yogurt
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup raisins (you could use chopped pecans or walnuts…I just happened to have raisins)
- Combine sugar, yogurt and oil
- Add eggs then beat until smooth
- In another bowl combine flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with water
- Stir in sweet potatoes and raisins (or chopped nuts)
Bake at 350° degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
My oven is a bit too strong so I baked mine for about 45 minutes then turned off the oven and left it inside for another 10 minutes. The bread came out golden brown.
I shouldn’t have had a piece of this bread earlier…now I don’t want to wait till tomorrow morning…I know, patience is a virtue.
If you happen to be in the mood for baking or you just happen to have about a cup of leftover mashed sweet potatoes and you just have no idea what to do…I suggest this recipe…it is good! C’mon, just try it out! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!