Today has been one of those rainy then humid then rainy then gloomy days that just make you want to stay indoors curled up in a blanket with a nice cup of tea.
There’s something about tea – you don’t enjoy it as much unless it is accompanied by a biscuit. So, I went on a mission to make soft, moist biscuits even though all I had was whole wheat flour.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp evoo
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Mix together in a medium sized bowl the flour, the baking powder and the salt. Then add in evoo & mix well.
3. In a separate small bowl (I did this in a large measuring cup) mix in the yogurt and almond milk. Add in the baking soda and mix well.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a dough is formed. If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit of almond milk – a spoonful at a time until you get the dough into a rolling consistency. Knead dough 2 or 3 times.
5. Turn out dough into a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about a 3/4″ thickness and cut biscuits. I don’t have a rolling pin in my new home, so I just extended my dough. It is easy to handle. I also just used a drinking glass to cut out my circles. I dont have a biscuit cutter.
6. Bake in a cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes at 425F. Enjoy!!
My biscuits came out a little smallish so I was able to get 15 of them out of the dough. I imagine you should be able to get 8-10 regular sized biscuits if you follow this recipe.
Thanks so much for stopping by today. Hope you’re having a great week!! If you try out this recipe, let me know.
This recipe is so easy to make and so yummy to eat, you’ll find yourself making it over and over and over again. I really had a craving for biscuits this morning. I didn’t want to do the vegan basil & garlic bread roll I’ve done in the past. I wanted something more fluffy! Something soft…and maybe salty? So, I got to work. (Non-vegan version in 2nd last paragraph)
Recipe makes 8 – 10 biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more for sprinkling
- 3/4 cup vanilla soy milk (or regular soy milk)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp cold butter (non-dairy)
- 1 tbsp evoo
- Preheat oven to 450F then grease baking pan.
- Add lime juice to soy milk and let it sit.
- In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- Add cold butter to dry ingredients one tbsp at a time and cut butter together into flour with a fork (I don’t own a pastry cutter, but it is not needed either). Mixture will look somewhat crumbly. Add evoo and mix.
- Make a dwell/hole in the middle of flour mixture and slowly add milk. Mix it together using a fork. Don’t over mix!
- The mixture will be somewhat sticky. Knead with your hand inside the bowl maybe 2 or 3 times.
- Form medium size balls (size of a lemon) and place in baking pan. Then start flattening them. It is alright if the edges touch, but don’t flatten them too much.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top and bake in oven for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of a biscuit comes out clean.
These are really nice and fluffy! The family really liked them. They enjoyed them so much that I am waiting for another 20 biscuits baking in the oven right now. I did something a little different for my 3rd batch. I made them non-vegan. I wanted to add a little bit more flavour to the biscuits so I only used 1 tbsp cold butter and added 2 tbsp mayo (hellmann’s olive oil mayo). I also omitted the 1 tbsp evoo. I’m hoping they’ll come out just as tasty! I’ll let you know in the morning 🙂
I’m excited to go to sleep just so I can wake up tomorrow and have these biscuits with my morning coffee. So in 4 minutes I’ll be going to bed!
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great night!